- Certain Red Colobus species and the Olive Colobus monkey are hunted by humans and chimpanzees for food.
- Squirrel monkeys produce more than 20 vocalizations.
- Adult male guenon monkeys sometimes rush after eagles which have caught a family member.
- By urinating on subordinates, Male Squirrel monkeys assert dominance.
- Silvered Leaf monkeys are silver to dark grey in color, infants are bright orange in color.
- Proboscis monkeys are known for the smaller pointed noses of females. Males have long noses, which grow throughout their lifetime.
- New World Monkeys, do not have thumbs, including the spider monkey. Squirrel monkeys and Capuchins have pseudo-opposable thumbs, they are the only New World Monkeys of this type.
- It is easy to distinguish monkeys from apes. Monkeys have tails, apes don’t.
- Monkeys do not eat the skins of bananas, they peel the skin off their bananas.
- 96 is the number of species of Old World Monkeys
- Old World Monkeys have large cheek pouches. Cheek pouches help them to feed rapidly and store their food, and swallow it later.
- The two sub families of Old World Monkeys are generalists and specialists. Specialists mainly eat leaves and generalists eat almost everything.
- There are 81 species of New World Monkeys in the Amazon basin, as of 2008. New ones are continually being discovered.
- It is easy to distinguish monkeys from apes.
- Monkeys have tails, apes don’t.
- The Old World monkeys live in Asia and Africa, and the New World monkeys live in South America.
- In the Chinese(Also read: Amazing facts about China) zodiac, monkey appears as the 9th animal. In 2016, monkey appears as the zodiac sign.
- The miniature spider monkey has incredible tail, its tail can hold the weight of the whole body.
Don’t try to touch a monkey, they don’t like it and they are aggressive.
- Monkeys are intelligent animals.